Monday 9 August 2010

Pinocchio - The Green Fisherman.

Okay, here's the second of four illustrations for a Pinocchio project. There are many interesting and bizarre scenes in the book so I was spoiled for choice when I was picking four to illustrate. There is one particular scene featuring a character that is omitted from almost all adaptations. Pinocchio finds himself  floating around in the ocean and is caught in a fishing net. The fishing net belongs to a huge green ogre, The Green Fisherman.
The Fisherman only appears for a few pages and his description is minimal which was a fantastic opportunity to do my own interpretation . Here's the finished pencils.
 

As the borders are a representation of the characters surroundings in this case I used nets, waves and shells to symbolize the ocean . The flat colours and shades are damp and swampy, I didn't want any warmth, it had to be cold, and damp.
 
The dried brush strokes and scratches I used in the first piece have added a nice dark quality to the feel of the Fox and Cat piece so I used them again, deciding they would give all the illustrations the same murky, mysterious quality.























No comments:

Post a Comment